"Sterileness" and "sterility" are both noun forms of "sterile," which means being free from living microorganisms, bacteria, or germs. However, "sterility" is much more commonly used than "sterileness" and most reputable dictionaries do not even recognize "sterileness" as a standard English word.
Sterility is a condition often associated with cleanliness and a lack of contamination. Imagine a hospital operating room where surgeons are preparing for a delicate surgery. The sterility of the operating room is crucial to prevent infection and ensure the safety of the patient. All the instruments and surfaces in the room have been meticulously cleaned and sterilized to eliminate any potential pathogens. In this context, "sterility" describes the critical quality of the operating room being completely free from harmful microorganisms to maintain a safe and sanitary environment for the medical procedure.
Because "sterility" is more widely accepted than "sterileness," it would be a safe choice to use "sterility" in formal writing over "sterileness." Below are examples of "sterility" in sentences.
- In the medical field, the sterility of surgical instruments is paramount to prevent infections during procedures.
- The laboratory maintained strict sterility protocols to ensure the accuracy of scientific experiments.
- The process of canning foods involves sealing them in containers to maintain sterility and prolong shelf life.
- Patients with compromised immune systems are at a higher risk of infections due to reduced natural defenses against bacteria and the loss of sterility.
- The pharmaceutical company conducted rigorous tests to confirm the sterility of their drug products.
- Food manufacturers follow strict guidelines to guarantee the sterility of their products and safeguard consumers' health.
- The sterility of the operating room was evident as the surgeons and nurses meticulously prepared for the surgery.
- In microbiology, researchers study the effects of various conditions on the sterility of cultures.
- The packaging for medical supplies is designed to maintain sterility until the products are ready for use.
- The sterilization process in hospitals includes methods like autoclaving and chemical disinfection to ensure the sterility of equipment and surfaces.
Want to sound like a native speaker?
Engram’s AI-powered grammar checker makes your English sound like a native speaker’s, suggesting natural English expressions on top of fixing grammar, spelling, punctuation, word order, and vocabulary.